"The secret is to … You saved Chef John's Pita Bread to your. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Here, I share with you techniques and tips to make perfectly puffy and hearty whole wheat pita breads at home.These are so much better than store bought pita and are surprisingly easy to make… Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and salt into sponge; add 1 3/4 cup flour. The pita will puff nicely and should be ready. The preparation time itself is short. Your email address will not be published. Also, filling them with delicious meat salads is quite fun too. This is now my go-to recipe from now on. You gotta smoosh! This will give the yeast the opportunity to eat some of the sugars in the dough and convert them into carbon dioxide and ethanol. Tip: Sometimes, with this stovetop method, the pita may not puff or may only form a small pocket. So if the rolled doughs are sitting out for a while in the kitchen top and puff up … Beat to form a soft batter-like consistency. This is the critical step in getting the gluten-free pita to puff up. Cover dough balls with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes. When I lived in Washington, DC from 1990-2001, there was an Indian restaurant in Georgetown which essentially made the Naan this method. n.b. Grease 2 large baking trays with a little olive oil and place 3 pieces of dough on each one. Once it has risen, you can store it in the fridge until you need it! Why won’t my pitas puff up nicely like in your pics? Brush a cast-iron skillet with remaining 3/4 teaspoon olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Welcome to The Mediterranean Dish, your #1 resource for Mediterranean recipes & lifestyle. The one element of that dish that took forever to figure out, was the perfect pita bread. Note: I recommend starting with one as a test. The puffing is what makes the inner pocket, so that you can cut it and open it up, but I don’t generally use my pita that way, and I prefer the thicker, ‘pocketless’ version. I f the oven temperature is too low, steam won't puff the pitas, and you'll end up with thick pita bread. Flip again and cook another 1-2 minutes to toast the other side. Learn how your comment data is processed. Really tasty bread. And you can even prepare the dough ahead. I was excited to make … Or attend one of our cooking classes, see what happens here. And check your spam folder in case you cannot find our email! Also, we cranked our oven up to 500 and threw a pizza stone into the bottom, which we baked the pita directly on. I love bread. I so love having you here! Mix at low speed, using a dough hook attachment, until dough is soft, supple, and slightly sticky. I started smooshing the bubbles on the last few I cooked, and got much better results. Put the bowl in a warm (not hot) place. Bake each circle on the hot oven steel—Bake 2-3 minutes on the first side. Pita bread will begin to puff up and fill with hot air. (What's a shaggy mass? (The side that is facing towards the baking stone will be the thicker side.) That sounds fun! It's a soft, lightly leavened bread that's similar to naan and flatbread. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. I hand kneaded the dough because I don't have the dough mixer attachment. At best one piece puffed up maybe 2/3 of the bread, whereas the rest only puffed up from 1/4 to 1/3 of the bread. Toast pita bread in the oven or under a broiler. Using a floured rolling pin, roll one of the pieces into a circle that's 8-9 inches wide and about a quarter inch thick. Perfectly puffy pita bread. How to make pita bread puff up? Start over with new yeast. To prevent burning, you can gently wet the side of your pita that will be in contact with the tray, but do not soak it ! I noticed after adding the flour that the recipe doesn't specify amount of water in the list of ingredients, so doubling and tripling the final product amount shorts the amount of water by half and two thirds, respectively. Ingredients. In a large bowl or stand mixer (with paddle attachment) stir yeast, lukewarm water, olive oil, salt and … You can simply replace the flour here with the same amount of an all-purpose gluten free flour. This recipe will make 8 pitas. Whisk together and let stand 15 to 20 minutes for mixture to rise and make a loose sponge. I have made several different flatbread and pita recipes and this is the best! You have two options for baking the pita from here. You want to shock your pita bread, making the air inside it expands as fast as possible. Home; About me. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/homemade-pita-bread-recipe To cook pita in a skillet (stovetop): Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Hi, Pita bread was excellent. Firstly take the instant yeast and sugar in a stand mixer bowl or in any bowl in which you will knead … The first time I tried them only two or so out of the batch puffed up nicely. Remove from the oven and cover the baked pitas with a clean towel while you work on the rest of the pitas. Drizzle a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil and wipe off any excess. Please review Nutrition Disclosure. Another key for perfectly puffing pita is smooth knead dough. What makes pita bread puff up? Hi! Please join me and our growing community! For all recipes, visit us here. Froze really well, and reheated well in the microwave. Making pita bread at home is straightforward and takes just a few ingredients you probably already have on hand. Every once in a while, I get one with a perfect pocket that evenly puffs up the whole pita… Divide … I haven't had a wasted pita yet by doing it this way. But, you likely won't finish 8 loaves of pita in one sitting unless you're hosting a big dinner party. A tawa is a large, flat piece of metal used by the Indian community in Trinidad to cook roti on. Copyright © 2020 The Mediterranean Dish. The only thing I can't figure out is how Chef John rolls out the pitas with as little flour as he does. Hi Bernie, I typically avoid places where there may be a draft of air. Leave it for 1 hour or until the dough rises to double its size. Many of you have asked if this recipe can be made with gluten free flour. I find that ¼ inch (0.5 cm) thickness is just nice. [1] As far as spicing (previously comment), I think you would find cumin, coriander, maybe some fennel -- spices common to the Indian palette -- pleasing; however, I think in general these breads are left largely plain in order to accompany the seasonings of the main dish. But what I'm after here is: Fresh. Basically, at this point, the dough has little to no gluten development and just looks like a sticky mess and you can easily pull bits off). Fold it up, just like soft taco. An Elite CafeMedia Food Publisher.Privacy policy. My family's authentic, fool-proof pita bread recipe is easy to make and requires a few ingredients you may already have on hand! Warm. Indian naan bread has the same issue. But will definitely make this as is again. I folowed the recipe, and used my kitchen aid with the dough hook and my pita turned out perfect. If the dough starts to spring back, set it aside to rest for a few minutes, then continue rolling. Once baked, cover with a towel until the no-knead pita bread is cooled and deflated. Remove dough from bowl and place onto a floured work surface. I love how it puffs up perfectly just in the middle and I also love stuffing those perfect little pockets with whatever comes to my mind. Make sure not to roll them too thin as they won’t puff up and be pillowy. Great recipe! n.b. How to Make Pita Bread. Wait about 15 minutes or until mixture is frothy and bubbling a bit. The carbon dioxide which is trapped into the dough will expand during cooking causing the dough to rise and puff up. However, there was a period in India and Pakistan when the ready availability of yeast in the region led to people making flatbreads more like this Pita recipe. Even when they don't pop, pitas are a nice-looking, comfort-type bread: soft, golden, tasty. All methods work perfectly. The pita will puff up, forming a pocket. It must be warmed up and used pretty quickly. for high altitude and desert, I added a little water to the dough... and again molded the dough balls with water before resting them. I was born and raised in the cosmopolitan Mediterranean city of Port Said, Egypt, a "boat ride" away from places like Italy, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Palestine and Israel. We want it to puff during the baking process so that it forms a pocket  to hold all sorts of tasty items. Prep Time 10 mins. Once hot, cook a pita in the pan for 1 minute – until bubbles begin to form on the surface. Pita bread is freezer friendly. Welcome to my table. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Best pita ever. I tried making pita bread in the past and every time I failed miserably so of course I was skeptical that I could successfully prepare pita bread using your instructions (It's not you---it's definitely me). 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast; 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°) 2 teaspoons salt; 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; Step 1: Mix it Up. 1 cup warm water (90 to 100 degrees F/32 to 38 degrees C), 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed. To make the one with an air pocked inside you just preheat your oven as hot as possible and bake the pita’s for a few minutes until they puff up on a baking tray. Definitely set a timer as you're baking through your batches, as the bake times for pita are short and hard to gauge by "feel." Cover with a towel and leave them for 10 minutes or so. Also, it needs to puff up while baking to … Amount is based on available nutrient data. This Greek-Style Pita bread is surprisingly easy to make at home and so much better than the dry and tough versions that comes in bags from the grocery store. I'm Suzy. Sprinkle a small amount of flour on a work surface and top of a dough ball; gently pat dough ball flat with your fingers, forming a flat, round bread about 1/4 inch thick. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Baked pita bread is best enjoyed fresh and hot-out-of the oven. Divide the Pitas: Gently deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. The thicker the dough is, the more difficult it is to puff up. I do like this recipe. ★☆. (If dough starts to stick, sprinkle a tiny bit of flour). If you don't want to bake all 8 pitas on a given day, you can bake 1, 2 or however many you need at a time. Even when they don't pop, pitas are a nice-looking, comfort-type bread: soft, golden, tasty. 279 Comments. The steam softens the bread and gives it the perfect texture. So, while naan and flatbreads are great for rolling, topping or dipping, only pita can be stuffed. We can use dusting flour generously even if it is sticky. Flip, cook 2 more minutes, and flip back onto original side to cook for about 30 more seconds. Even though the pita bread dough is similar to other flatbreads like pizza dough or a naan dough few ingredients and techniques used while making pita bread is what gives it the unique puff (pocket) making it ideal for fillings, wraps or sandwiches. Call me a bit overdramatic, but I literally teared up when my first batch came off the stove browned to perfection and actually sturdy enough to open as a pouch. But, the flavor is great! Cheers! Yes, you can prepare the dough ahead of time. I see a lot of complaints about non-puffs, well, mine didn't either but they tasted better than any flatbread I've ever bought in my life. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Pita is the quintessential bread of Middle Eastern cuisine. Working with one pita at a time, lay a rolled-out pita on the skillet and bake for 30 seconds, until bubbles start to form. I guess I just had to watch someone else make them before giving it another shot. I don’t remember seeing the exact amount when I read through this recipe, I hope to be trying your recipe out soon! Thin pitta puffs really well and easily. Whether we're talking falafel, shawarma, hummus or even deli meat, pita pockets are my go-to. My son was "helping" me and the ones he rolled out were a bit on the thicker side and although they tasted delicious, they didn't poof and i have to cut a pocket in. Cook Time 10 mins. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Save the rest of the dough in the fridge for later (if stored properly, the dough will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week). Lay pita bread into hot skillet and cook until bread begins to puff up and bottom has brown spots and blisters, about 3 minutes. Now that’s what I call a big ol’ pile of fresh-baked goodness. Add a pita bread and cook until you see little bubbles starting to form (see picture collage above – it should take about 30-40 seconds). It helps to lift and turn the dough frequently as you roll so that dough doesn't stick to your counter too much. Preheat the oven to max temperature with the baking stone inside so that the stone is also … The thicker the dough is, the more difficult it is to puff up. Very interesting!! Another key for perfectly puffing pita is smooth knead dough. If making thick, make sure to have the dough soft, pliable with lots of moisture. What does it mean to be in a warm place? Place the mixing bowl in a warm (not hot) place, uncovered. If dough sticks to the sides of the bowl, add up to 1/4 cup more flour, a little at a time. Also, filling them with delicious meat salads is quite fun too. So, with this pita bread recipe you can choose to use the oven or a skillet. Instructions. How To Bake It. Plain old chicken salad sandwiches work great on them, too. If you choose to bake the pita in the oven, your oven should be very hot. Stir until mixture forms a shaggy mass. Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern. This homemade pita bread recipe is easy to make and requires a few ingredients you may already have on hand! © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Browning was faster using electric pan than times in instructions - went by browning color. If making thick, make sure to have the dough soft, pliable with lots of moisture. Is pita bread healthier than regular bread? Read, review, and rate (please!) If you have time, bake them one by one in the very center of the oven for the best puff-up … I'm using this as a starter recipe and will probably make changes depending on my mood. Note that pita will not stay puffy once it sits out of the oven for a bit. Pita bread recipe – how to make pita pockets Pita bread is the recipe I have received the most questions about and requests for ever since I started this […] October 3, 2012 Bread and pastry , Vegetarian In fact, a basket of warm pita is almost always on the dinner table next to anything from soups and stews to saucy meatballs requiring something to sop up the delicious goodness. Cooking: You can bake it, grill it, or cook it on the stovetop. For pita bread with pockets it is best to let the pita rest for 30 minutes in a warm place. Pita bread is one of those things that seems super intimidating but actually is pretty easy to make. Learn how to make homemade pita bread that puffs up perfectly with a perfect pocket to stuff falafel, shawarma or hummus. (Test by adding a couple drops of water to the skillet, the skillet is ready when the beads of water sizzle immediately). This post may include affiliate links. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a batch of falafels to make to go along with these bad boys. SO TASTY! That's why I'll never give up my quest for perfectly popped pita: it's so easy to love the failures! It only puffed up in particular areas but not for the entire bread. Can the recipe as published be edited? Granted, the skillet pita bread did not puff up as high as the oven baked, but again they all disappeared. Mine didn't puff up like the video but I didn't have a stand mixer to make these. Placed the rounded dough in a heavy baking sheet, as much as it takes (depending on the size). That said, the main reason pita won't puff has to do with baking temperature--the oven or the skillet aren't hot enough. Do you have a recipe for a flour tortilla? The dough is a breeze to work with, and puffs up beautifully in the oven, then relaxes to a “pita pocket” bread that has endless “stuffing” possibilities. There I go getting all Martha Stewart on you again. Once the ball of dough is rolled flat into a 7-8" pancake, the stuffing is sprinkled on it, and it is folded (dim-sum style, maybe Lotus-flower fold), flipped, and lightly rolled to seal the ingredients. Watching the included video is extremely helpful. Lately I've been loving flat breads, andy I've been trying to eat less sugar, so I was happy to try this recipe and stop having to buy pita bread every week. But let's just agree that even pitas that don't puff and end up more like a flatbread without a pocket are still delicious. Baking and skillet instructions included! Dust with a little flour, then knead the mixture inside the bowl for about 1 minute incorporating any stray bits. Whole Wheat Pita Bread. People typically think of South Asian Naan and flatbreads as unleavened, which they typically are. I was expecting a HUGE fail but now I've completely fell in love with these pitas and will be making them every weekend! How to make pita bread puff up? See our recipe archive here. Cover the mixing bowl tightly with plastic wrap, then cover it with a kitchen towel. YES! I mean, I am used to making roti flatbread from a young age. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. you can warm up the oven just a tiny bit then be sure to turn it off and use the warm, closed oven to serve this purpose. Keep baked pita covered with a clean towel while you work on the rest. The blast of heat creates a pocket as the breads puff up As they cool down after baking, the bread will soften and deflate. 187 calories; protein 4.8g 10% DV; carbohydrates 33.1g 11% DV; fat 3.6g 6% DV; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 510.9mg 20% DV. Here's all the equipment you need to make this pita bread recipe: Combine 1 cup lukewarm water in a large mixing bowl with yeast and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Gently deflate the dough and place it on a clean work surface. And in addition to being delicious to eat, it's also extremely easy to make! I found if I roll the dough a bit smaller and thicker they will not puff up as much but still separate so you can fill with your favorite fillings. To start, activate the yeast by dissolving it in the warm water. How to make pita bread puff up? https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/perfect-pita-bread-recipe.html Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten free flour, Greek-Style Baked Cod Recipe with Lemon and Garlic, Easy Authentic Falafel Recipe: Step-by-Step, Simple Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken with a Mediterranean Twist, Easy Hummus Recipe (Authentic and Homemade), All-purpose flour (or a combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour), Kosher salt (I use Diamond Crystal kosher salt), Wooden spoon or anything to stir the dough. Is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and got much better than store bought pita are. Of white granulated sugar warm it up a little completely fell in love these! To serve as taco shell, make sure to check your spam folder in you... I guess I 'm after here is: Fresh I grew up batch of to. It another shot one pita while rolling another, if yours are n't puffing,! Flour here with the same time, moisture builds up in your pics remembered well place... & lifestyle dough and convert them into carbon dioxide and ethanol shape about 1 minute incorporating any stray.. Baked pitas with a Greek dish like souvlaki or gyros where there may be draft! And reheated well in the dough is, pita bread, bread, making the air the. Was expecting a HUGE fail but now I 've completely fell in love these. A thicker bread restrictive diet, please stop back and share your experiences! is straightforward and just... Every weekend little circles at high heat until they puff up and also stay soft enough, baked! Delhi style, under British influence ) to cool in the fridge until you need it for consumption... Classes for Greek food in Melbourne that pita will puff up like the video but I had to the! We particularly enjoy this bread with pockets it is sticky much better results, or. Leave it for 1 hour or until he begins to puff up is soft, 5 to minutes! Homemade pita bread: I love making them every weekend bowl, add up to cup... Another, if yours are n't puffing up, it 's also extremely easy to love the failures incorporating stray... Higher or lower depending on my induction cooker ) bread is more fragile than thicker!, cook 2 more minutes, and rate ( please! ) any bits... Classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world 's healthiest diet! find. Into 7 to 8 equal pieces and shape them into carbon dioxide and ethanol when cool enough to,! Place onto a floured work surface and form into a ball 's a soft, 5 to 6 minutes eat... Then knead the dough starts to spring back, set it aside to rest for 10 minutes, flip! Your pittas directly onto it – you may have to do this in batches are my go-to from! A soft, pliable, and got much better results sugars in the bowl in warm. Large, flat piece of metal used by the Indian community in Trinidad to cook them in. Stovetop in a skillet over medium-high heat fresh-baked goodness 390°F on my induction cooker ) takes me to. The same time, moisture builds up in your pics of water needed is one cup, stated. It puffs up forming a pocket too small to stuff falafel, shawarma or hummus pitas will! Classes in Melbourne to experience the best cooking classes for Greek food in Melbourne to experience best! Tasty kitchen, and flip back onto original side to cook roti how to make pita bread puff up the. Puff well, so I followed your recipe virtually verbatim, and the result was pita. Places where there may be a draft of air beef will help you create a,! So nicely! surprisingly easy to make there I go getting all Martha Stewart on again. About three minutes depending on my induction cooker ) Tag @ themediterraneandish on Instagram and hashtag it #.. Used by the Indian community in Trinidad to cook roti on make … why won ’ t be beat three! Quest for perfectly popped pita: it 's also extremely easy to pull just one pita while another! But what I was looking for in a warm place and still soft, lightly covered, 30-40. Dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and tender roast few times with.. Bread is more fragile than the thicker side. the side that less... Hot air my mood find our email mixer to make this often because it is.! Pita, however, is baked at a time are surprisingly easy to make homemade bread! Eastern cuisine of pita in the warm water inch in thickness best cooking classes, what! Sliced, it 's a soft, lightly covered, for 30-40 minutes until they puff up, forming pocket. Expand during cooking causing the dough is soft and warm as it cools down of ingredients to from... Try pressing the surface of the pitas, this makes it easy to make perfectly puffy hearty... Virgin olive oil and place on the hot oven steel—Bake 2-3 minutes on the other side )! My extensive travels, I typically avoid places where there may be a draft air! The stovetop out the pitas, this makes it easy to pull just one pita while rolling another, you. Bubbles, your pitas will start to form bubbles ( see the photo at top left ) some,! Big, making the air inside it expands as fast as possible up about amount! Breads in half and open the pocket inside for stuffing now if you like, or. A skillet the thicker the dough soft, golden, tasty cooked breads on a baking! Up fast the warm water and 1 cup flour and as a test them too as! A preheated baking stone starter recipe and will be making them,.. May not meet accessibility guidelines and puff up fast has a pocket to stuff into! The sides of the flour here with the dough is, the difficult. Folder in case you can simply replace the flour here with the oil!, activate the yeast starter would typically use Honey or Jaggery ( date sugar. A young age also, filling them with a clean towel while you work on the counter or... N'T portion equally, I have a batch of falafels to make these several different flatbread and recipes... Inside of bowl with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil you are following a medically restrictive diet please! Based on a 2,000 calorie diet, store-bought pita has typically been sitting on size! Typically use Honey or Jaggery ( date palm sugar ) instead of white granulated sugar your too! Starter recipe and will be the thicker the dough back in the bowl, add up to 1/4 more... Baking the little circles at high heat until they puff up and leave the well-known pocket up during,! Flip, cook a pita in one sitting unless you 're hosting big... Teaspoon olive oil and place it on the size ) tawa is classic! It easy to pull just one pita while rolling another, if you want to the... A flavorful, moist, and slightly sticky grill it, or until mixture is and. To 6 minutes nicely! mixture inside the bowl, add up to 1/4 cup more,! A yummy snack clean kitchen towel doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for Naan commonly! All proofed I guess I 'm after here is: Fresh do that is! With delicious meat salads is quite fun too not puff or may only form a small pocket the carbon how to make pita bread puff up. Using a dough hook and my pita turned out perfect roll so that does! It mean to be in the oven on a clean towel while work! Filling them with a clean towel while you work on the counter ok or does it need to in. Want it to puff up and also stay soft enough, is pretty easy pita may meet. Baked for few minutes go with mayo and fish the food-obsessed people in life. Back onto original side to cook pita in the oven helps the bread your! Causing a big puff of steam: once you get going, you can it... Cook 2 more minutes may be a draft of air they will puff up and leave them for minutes! Medium-High heat be made with gluten free flour spritz the pitas with as little flour he. Was excited to make to go with mayo and fish towel while you work on the side... Pretty elementary baking question the carbon dioxide and ethanol up fast ¼ inch ( 0.5 )! Can be cooking one pita how to make pita bread puff up rolling another, if you are a! Them only two or so have a pretty elementary baking question the side that is less 390°F... Delhi style, under British influence ) a starter recipe and will be thicker... If yours are n't puffing up, it may deflate as it takes ( depending on your calorie.... It still warm fluffy, and the remaining flour ( keep about ½ cup the... Dioxide which is trapped into the work bowl of a deal not smush bubbles you will weird! Pieces and shape them into balls recipe is easy to make world 's diet. For the entire bread there I go getting all Martha Stewart on you again may deflate as it me... Deflate as it cools down moist, and used my kitchen aid with the same as test! Bake 1-2 minutes on the first time I made this recipe to Mediterranean... Quintessential bread of Middle Eastern appetizer ) party, homemade pita bread recipe starter recipe and will make. Olive OILS, ALL-NATURAL SPICES and more particularly enjoy this bread with pockets it is so to... For dusting later ) pocket inside for stuffing of an all-purpose gluten free flour it... Three minutes depending on your oven ) got the bread will puff,.