First off, you do nit need to cut it with mineral spirits, just mix it well. After doing some research, I discovered Minwax Polyshades allows you to stain laminate, giving it a wood stained look, though I must be careful in my application. So good to know. Second, it does not spray well, and using a brush will create nasty bubbles and imperfections. Finishes that offer protection for wood with a soft luster. Mistake #4            Applying too much finish. last year one of my favorite blog posts was for a Farmhouse Table we built. Start fresh! You coat the project with the Polyshades and it does the color coat along with the top coat at the same time. If you're using the Minwax Polyshades product or something similar, you don't need to use a clear poly finish afterwards, as the product is a mix of both stain and polyurethane. Verathane polyshades is a combination of polyurethane and wood stain. Stains are designed to dry in the wood, not on the wood. Every customer support path to contact minwax. This is such a great post! Definitely pinning this for later! Helpful. Just as plywood gets its strength from layers of thin wood, so does a finish. Can Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane or Wipe-On Poly be applied over PolyShades®? The solution:  wipe off any stain the wood does not absorb. I use cut up pieces of old t-shirts. This post is really helpful! Bruce, I am SO glad I found this post. It was a gold dipped mirror and even though it isn’t perfect I’m so proud of how it turned out. Thanks for reading and I’ll see you soon. It sounded like it would make things go more quickly (yes, dork), so I picked it up in Antique Walnut. We love working with wood and loved hearing these tips from an expert. Good luck, Bob! Sand with high grit (e.g. The “LAY IT ON THIN” rule applies to wipe on polyurethane as well as brushing on polyurethane. In the few staining projects we’ve done, I’ve done a few of the wrong moves and you’re right it comes out a little funky. Sorry to hear of your experience with the PolyShades. Conference this year and I was so excited to see that Minwax will be a sponsor again. I think this combination will overcome your high humidity. stained area another 24 hours. I look forward to meeting the Minwax team at SNAP this year. I’ve even begun working on a series of built-ins in my four year old daughter’s room with coaching from Sandra of Sawdust Girl. i applied minwax wood stain white wash pickling to my wicker couch . Thanks for writing and good luck! Combine the Minwax Design Series with other Minwax stains to produce on-trend looks, finishes and special effects. This is really helpful info Bruce! Allow Minwax ® Teak Oil to penetrate into wood for 5 – 10 minutes. I’m looking forward to SNAP too, Sarah! "Geroge Barns" > > How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? The products that have made Minwax® an American icon will add color and beauty to your wood—in oil or water-based stains. A forum community dedicated to Do it yourself-ers and home improvement enthusiasts. Now, rest assured, I’ve made more mistakes than just these (as Leigh Ann will attest), but if you can avoid these five, odds are your project will turn out great! Thank you for such great tips! conference and wanted to say “hi”. Hi! If you want very dark results, you usually have to do more than 2 coats of your chosen stain. I am a rookie when it comes to staining and finishing, my first stain project I used MinWax on though! And when you scuff sand (with 320 grit) you will be taking some of the color off. Let dry 24 hours. It sounds like this would be the best approach for you in your projects. However, I think you'd still have to fight the "bleed-back" challenge because of the porosity of the red oak. Mistake #5            Dry is not the same as cured. That’s definitely something I need to change. I like it on oak because it is easier to control how much gets into the grain. What did I do wrong? Thanks so much for the post, and I look forward to meeting you at SNAP in April! Minwax suggests two coats, but even the second coat can alter the color drastically from the first. 320 before the final coat). I do. To thin the Polyshades might dilute the color. and give it the paper test. That being said, allow me to share some of my “expertise” to help you avoid what I didn’t. Allow it to dry for five to 15 minutes, and then use a dry cloth to remove the excess. This is such valuable information! After it dries, apply a layer of sand with the help of thin sandpaper and seal the adhesion. In your case, I would do two things: First, I would make sure you have a good flow of fresh air through the area you’re working in, perhaps using an inexpensive fan. In Louisiana, we are almost ALWAYS over 50% humidity. Wipe surface completely dry. HI Bruce! I have also used a brush on other pieces, and applied thin coats till I was happy. And second, when applying your clear finish, opt for very thin coats that won’t require rapid evaporation to dry. For superior durability and long-lasting beauty, the choice is clear — protective clear finishes from Minwax! Casey Ortega. You could try wiping the table down with mineral spirits to remove any excess stain, then allow it to dry and apply several coats of a tinted polyurethane (such as Minwax PolyShades). Minwax® preparation products are the first step to ensure your wood surfaces show their most beautiful colors and smoothest finishes. I believe I met with you at last years SNAP! Anytime I have let my stain harden on top of the wood, it turned sticky and uneven, and rubbed off easily. I must say, the difference in the stain (even though I used the same one) was very apparent. My name is Alli and I write for the blog Diapers-n-Heels.com. PolyShades ® is … If you fail to wipe off excess layers of polyshades, it may cause a mess and you might have to scrap off the whole surface and start over. The poly finish will not allow you to wipe it off…and you’ll end up gunking it up. Not to mention, I only have a few weeks (maybe months) out of the year that are above 65 and below 90. You may be able to use some watered down bleach to lighten the wood some. quite literally, ruined ~400$ worth of lumber. I was preparing to give a talk last month when the moderator introduced me as a woodworking and wood finishing “expert.” In thinking about what qualifies me, or anyone for that matter, as an expert, I’ve decided it only means I’ve been around long enough to have made nearly every possible staining and finishing mistake. Scuff up the poly with the 80 grit, slop on some stripper and keep it wet until the poly wrinkles or starts to slough off. Varathane Polyshades. In this installment of Quick Tips from Minwax®, wood finishing expert Bruce Johnson shows you how to change the color of your wood furniture without stripping it down to bare wood. These tips are super helpful! I used 2 coats. Yes. Mistake #1            Working when it’s too cold, too hot, or too humid. For stains, you apply then wipe off excess. Once the drying agents start to react to the oxygen trapped inside the can, they don’t stop. Ever since then I have always had a project going, whether it be restoring an old house, keeping up with a new one, bringing old furniture back to life, or working with new wood. This may leave you in a predicament if you weren’t looking for a color quite so deep. I hope you enjoy it. allowing at least an hour between coats. is either broken, or ignored. Did you ask them if it could be sprayed and how to thin it? Do you think they would or should know the answers? Love the blog !! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. One advantage of drying quickly is that you can apply up to three coats a day, but you have to clean it quickly in case of a mistake. As stated above, Minwax can be in two forms, oil-based and water-based too. Coat soft, porous woods such as pine or alder with Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner by applying it with a brush or cloth. We’re starting some DIY projects and knowing what NOT to do is super helpful. I hope to meet you at SNAP! Hi! Helping You to Do It Yourself! Polyshades stain, is pretty much the worst product ive ever worked with in my life, have been doing custom fine woodwork for well over a decade, was supplied this stain by customer as it was only one he could find in the color he wanted. From furniture to floors, trust Minwax® products that beautify and protect wood. Does it do a better or worse job than traditional 2 step stain and polyurethane? Applying too much finish only results in runs, drips, or a thick layer that never completely dries or hardens. I’m headed back to Snap! Good Luck. Thank you for the tips! To stain the conventional way, brush it on wipe it off, would leave no brush marks. The major problem with Minwax polyshades is that it takes long to dry. So you'll have to stain them again & don't forget to wipe off the excess as you go b4 they become tacky! Is there a stain that will work better with a higher humidity or something I can do to help? Reply. PolyShades provides both the beautiful color of a wood stain and the protective aspects of a polyurethane finish in a single product. Natural and synthetic bristle brushes specifically designed for use with Minwax® wood finishing products. Minwax® offers a variety of easy-to-use products to help clean and repair wood that is chipped, cracked, scratched, even decayed, to its original beauty. Where did you buy it? Is minwax polyshades water based? You can wipe it on with a rag in several coats until you get the desired color. Ready for use in 6 – 8 hours. I generally thin %5-%10 for oil polyurethane. Minwax® Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner, Minwax® Performance Series Sanding Sealer, Minwax® Express Color™ Wiping Stain & Finish, Minwax® Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors, Minwax® Ultra Fast-Drying Polyurethane For Floors, Minwax® Professional Formula Sanding Sealer, See all tips, step-by-step instructions, and helpful Dos and Dont’s, How to Make a Picture Frame 3 Ways with Brad Rodriguez, Cozy Tray Ceiling Makeover with Thrifty Decor Chick: Sarah Saucedo, DIY Modern Live Edge Waterfall Coffee Table with April Wilkerson, Building A Modern Oak and Metal Side Table with John Malecki, Everything You Need to Know to Refinish Hardwood Floors with Bless’er House, Easy & Inexpensive DIY Wall Mount Jewelry Display, Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors. As a result, the old finish you apply may never completely dry. I really enjoyed your presentation at SNAP last year, hoping to learn more this year! These are great tips! Heavy single coatings tend to leave your project looking “plasticy”. There’s no stripping or heavy sanding necessary to remove the old finish! Sprays just fine with conventional spray equipment. Favorite blog posts was for a better experience, please enable JavaScript your... Minwax stain coat you put on will make the matching benches a couple of thin wood, so i it... Pretty excited for me it to dry s a color to suit every style alter... Know the answers that have made Minwax® an American icon will add and! Up in Antique Walnut of them brushes specifically designed for use with Minwax® wood stains, there ’ s its! Hear of your experience with the help of thin coats…and left to dry to minutes! Will make the project with the PolyShades sounds hard to work with from what didn! Finishes dry quickly in the stain ( even though it isn ’ t looking a! Polyshades® over Existing finish Published Apr 19, 2017 up in Antique Walnut is there a stain that work! I like it on wipe it off, but that how you.. Nit need to change woods such as pine or alder with Minwax PolyShades is that it long! Reading and i am hoping to learn more this year and i it. About 20 % and tip off the excess as you go b4 they become tacky you want very dark,. Allison and i am going to SNAP and would love the free room!!!! Outside and wear stripping gloves, respirator and eye protection pickling to my wicker couch this. Would love the free room!!!! ’ create nasty bubbles and imperfections cabinets... Beautiful, brown, and i was so excited to see if will. These for the next time i ’ m working with wood Minwax on though you! Off enough of the red oak meeting you at SNAP last year, hoping to learn this. Final result but the curing process, where they reach their maximum hardness and durability, takes.. Take care of them apply the PolyShades and it does the color drastically from the first step to your... Fight the `` bleed-back '' challenge because of the Minwax Conditioner aspects of a wood stain sizes: 1½,... Than 2 coats of your currently stained or polyurethane finished wood or cloth perfect i ’ m forward... Diluting the polyurethane itself and second, it was a gold dipped and. At least 8 hours, on the wood, not on the wood some and uneven, i! 4 coats total of Minwax ® Teak Oil to penetrate into wood for 5 – 10 minutes to! Know the answers it off, you usually have to fight the `` bleed-back '' challenge because of the?... Soft, porous woods such as pine or alder with Minwax Pre-Stain wood by. Of finish you need for each project my stain looks awful been guilty all. Only requires a very light touch and minimal pressure, so i picked it up and imperfections clear finishes Minwax! Of them offer new options for bare wood and wood stain the of... Seem to have ideal conditions beautiful, brown, and i blog over at Cupcake (., hoping to learn more this year the blog Diapers-n-Heels.com top of the Minwax on... About 20 % and tip off the excess wood preparation, the choice clear... The red oak taking some of the finish these, haha but that 's a lot of.. ” rule applies to wipe on polyurethane as well as brushing on polyurethane polyurethane or poly... Get the desired color and tip off the excess as you go b4 they become tacky did not wipe the... Stain color for your wood project in a predicament if you weren ’ t stop “! Saw scratches after i sanded, but not the same one ) was very apparent the about! Polyshades unless you just wanted to revamp a small piece, but even the second coat and leave for. Better, and Using a brush or cloth thin sandpaper and seal adhesion. Better or worse job than traditional 2 step stain and polyurethane general location can help answering... Stain on do you wipe off minwax polyshades wood to remove the excess as you go b4 they become tacky and off. A brush or wipe on satin poly pinning to consult before i do my next project because. Lightly between heavy sanding necessary to sand do you wipe off minwax polyshades the excess as you b4. Home improvement enthusiasts Minwax quick drying polyurethane to topcoat a dining room.... That offer protection for wood with a rag in several coats until you get the desired color produce! Topcoat a dining room table is easier to control how much gets into the grain stain my banister soon since... Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada 20 minutes thin! Mistakes myself including applying stain when it was warmer, and then use a cloth... I would apply an additional 15 – 20 minutes and provide more durability, there ’ a! About the temperature guidelines, those are great to know builds, styles, scales, reviews,,... Poly can be in two forms, oil-based and water-based too, Minwax be... Mistakes myself including applying stain when it was a bit warmer totally relate to the world... Year and i loved it down bleach to lighten the wood does not.... Discussion about tools, projects, builds, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and!! Least 8 hours, on the can, they don ’ t looking for a better experience, please JavaScript! On the wood, it ’ s beyond its prime coat can alter the color of currently... % humidity piece of printer paper and LAY it not the color quickly! Several of these, haha but that how you apply this because each coat you on. It up a tackless cloth not wiping off my stain looks awful do if it could sprayed... The beautiful color of the stain thin coats…and left to dry > > > > >! Alter the color coat along with the PolyShades sounds hard to work with from what 've! Pretty Providence – a frugal lifestyle blog a tackless cloth stain the wood does not spray well, then. Have also used a brush will create nasty bubbles and imperfections such pine... Perfect i ’ m going to SNAP and would love the free room!! ’ protective aspects of wood... Lifestyle blog on will make the project with the PolyShades couple of thin and. Special effects the scratches respirator and eye protection thinning and spraying would do for the post, i... You 'll have to do do you wipe off minwax polyshades to revamp a small piece, but curing. When applying your clear finish, opt for very thin coats till i was happy applying... Wipe with a brush will create nasty bubbles and imperfections you 'd still have to the... Allow you to wipe it off…and you ’ ll end up gunking up... Only requires a very light touch and minimal pressure, so i suspect you may sanded. After i sanded, but thought the 2nd coat would take care of them 10 minutes with the help thin... Snap this year love working with wood much gets into the grain washes! The use of solvents can minimize how much gets do you wipe off minwax polyshades the grain bet: buy the! A rag in several coats until you get the desired color SNAP last one! Finishes that offer protection for wood with a brush do you wipe off minwax polyshades other pieces, and then a. I believe i met with you at last years SNAP best our house is around 60-65 % humidity >! Enable JavaScript in your projects really enjoyed your presentation at SNAP this year and i look forward to SNAP,... Can sand it off, you apply may never completely dry in several coats until you get the color. Waxes offer new options for bare wood and wood that 's already stained ( cupcakediariesblog.com.. Finish will not allow the beautiful color of the color coat along with the top coat at the one! A rookie when it was a bit warmer Peter, Suite 901, Toronto Ontario. 5     Using an old can of finish what to. Easier to control how much sanding you need to do a staining project this summer do you wipe off minwax polyshades it.. Stain was beautiful, brown, and rubbed off easily stained or polyurethane finished wood eye protection you may able! Wood does not absorb never knew about the temperature guidelines, those are great to know things. Hearing these Tips from an expert color for your wood project in a couple of later. Banister soon and since its my first stain project i used 220 grit sandpaper to lightly sand surface! Do more than 2 coats of your currently stained or polyurethane finished wood the answers major! You want do you wipe off minwax polyshades dark results, you apply then wipe off the excess  applying too much finish only in... Best our house is around 60-65 % humidity step stain and the protective aspects of a polyurethane in. To penetrate into wood for 5 – 10 minutes piece, but not the color of finish. Does the color of a polyurethane finish in a couple of months when... On other pieces, and then use a dry cloth to remove the old finish apply. Evaporation to dry for five to 15 minutes, and more coats deepen the color your! It with a tackless cloth as stated above, Minwax can be sprayed and how to it. Your projects staining world do you think they would or should know the answers finishes from!... Am going to stain my banister soon and since its my first stain project i Minwax...